Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sub Lime

Project: Use It Or Lose It (Lime Edition) finally came to an end early last week, and it was none too soon. There was one lime left and Thanksgiving was looming large on the horizon. It was time to gear up for holiday cooking. Still hovering over me was the all too recent memory of The Great Lime Marmalade Disaster of 2010*. One lime left... make it good.

I love the idea of blackberry and lime together, so I adapted a favorite cookie recipe from last year and delighted in the result (that means we ate a whole lot more of them than we probably should have). It might be a good idea to wait for a party before making these.

Notes: I overfilled the jam on first tray of cookies so it flooded out over the sides a little. They still tasted awesome. The lime flavor was pretty subtle, but a really good match for the blackberry jam. These are buttery rich cookies that I'll happily make again and again.

There were quite a few gorgeous lime desserts that I would gladly have made, regardless of the cost in weight-gain, but they called for other specialty ingredients that I didn't have. To spend even more money in order to justify the first foolish expenditure... well, that's like trying to make a right with two wrongs. I've tried that in the past, and it just never does add up.

Here are some of the lime recipes I didn't make, just for future reference, you know, in case I find myself with a bunch of limes and nothing to do...
*Yes, I still have all of it. I'm about ready to toss it though. I needed some distance, but now I need the jars and I just can't bring myself to experiment with ways to use the bitter contents. I'm over it. It's time to move on.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Take a moment to say "Howdy!"... I'd love to hear from you!